Parents nowadays are having a hard time feeding their kids a healthy and satisfying meal. With the many food choices available, which are often unhealthy, kids would rather eat what they perceive as appealing to them without realizing the need for proper nutrition. Many kids are living an unhealthy lifestyle by spending countless hours over their computers, munching chips while watching their favorite TV show or simply skipping meals. There are a lot of distractions that can keep your kids from eating the right food.
Providing healthy foods for kids’ nutritional needs is an obligation of any parent. Since children require more nutrients to support their growing period the need for healthier meals are very essential now more than ever. These developmental years of kids will call for more vitamins and nutrients to sustain their most important period of growth. Unfortunately many parents failed in the battle in the arena of healthy foods versus junk foods. This is a sad reality that parents will go through feeling helpless and will easily give in to every whim their kids make. To give solution to the ‘food crisis’ among children one must be creative enough to entice their children into eating healthy through nutritious but delicious food that would appeal to their taste.
Macaroni and Cheese is one hot pick for kids of all ages. This dish is very popular but could be unhealthy because of too much fat and sodium content. The mac n’ cheese version below is a sure way to tickle your child’s appetite while providing him with good nutritious healthy and hearty meal.
The Good Macaroni and Cheese
(makes 4 to 5 servings)
- Elbow macaroni pasta cooked, 4 cups (equivalent to half a pound in dry form)
- Evaporated skimmed milk,1 ½ cups
- Cheddar cheese white low fat, 4 oz.
- Parmesan cheese, 2 tbsp.
- Unsalted butter, 1 tbsp.
- Honey mustard, ½ tsp.
- White Cream sauce, ¼ cup (prepared ahead of time)
- Orange puree, 2 tbsp. optional (to add more intense color)
(NOTE: In lieu of white cheddar cheese you could use yellow cheddar and skipped the orange puree)
Cooking Directions: in a pot over low heat mix everything together except for the cooked macaroni. Stir continuously to prevent milk curding and lumps. After a few minutes add in the macaroni then turn the stove off. Serve hot then sprinkled with some parmesan cheese.
Recipe for the ‘secret’ white cream sauce:
- Cauliflower florets pieces, 2 cups
- Zucchini peeled and chopped, 2 small or medium pieces
- Fresh lemon juice,1 teaspoon
- Water, 1-2 tbsp. (if necessary)
- Steam cauliflower until very tender in a tightly covered pot for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the zucchini with lemon juice until smooth.
- Blend in the drained cauliflower with the zucchini lemon juice mixture then add 1 tbsp. of water in high speed puree the mixture until a very smooth consistency is achieve. Add a little bit of water to keep enough moisture for blending. Check occasionally for lumps with a spatula from time to time. Stop blending once a smooth thick consistency is achieved.
(Note: Divide this White Cream sauce into 4 freezable containers, then store in the freezer for future use. In the refrigerator compartment this can be stored for about 3 days.)
About the Author: Michelle is a writer for MyFood, a specialist in providing healthy meals for people of all ages via delivery.